P2S was contracted for the design of new 12,200 square-foot Community and Senior Center in Whittier, California. P2S provided mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP) engineering services for the entire building which houses state-of-the-art conference rooms/training rooms, a computer lab and a petting zoo.
The project goal was to provide users with multi-use and easily reconfigurable spaces within the community center. Perhaps the most challenging aspect of this project was its limited construction budget and aggressive target completion date.
As the MEP consultant, P2S was responsible for engineering, design and construction administration of the entire project. To meet the objectives of the project, P2S designed the following systems:
- Rooftop packaged unit with programmable thermostat for each conference/training room with economizer and power exhaust.
New service switchboard housed in electrical room
- Panelboards were housed in electrical room to meet the power and lighting demands of the building
- For backup power, P2S specified a 135kW diesel generator to be housed in an enclosure outside the building
- To address energy savings, P2S called for energy efficient lighting with occupancy sensors and multi-level switch controls
- To maximize water savings, low-water fixtures were utilized for the restrooms to maximize water savings
- Plumbing systems for showers, domestic hot water system
- P2S provided careful planning, coordination among disciplines and timely response to all submittals and requests for information and issues during construction
P2S completed this project on schedule and within the allocated budget. P2S met all project goals and objectives and the new community and senior center offers the community a flexible building that’s easily reconfigurable and provides comfort and use to all who use it. We were invited to the opening ceremony of this center where the city council and community members expressed their satisfaction and were extremely pleased that the project was completed on time and within budget.