P2S was contracted to provide mechanical, plumbing and electrical (MEP) engineering services for the renovation of the 7,000 square-foot kitchen and support spaces at a Southern California Theme Park. The renovated spaces include the kitchen, employee food service, shipping and receiving, support offices, freezers and food preparation spaces.
The Southern California Theme Park kitchen project was a full-facility renovation. Our engineers spent many hours in the field to gain a thorough understanding of the existing mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems. We worked closely with client, the architect and structural engineer to determine the best way to implement MEP systems within a constricted work space. Additional challenges included designing a 100% tempered make-up air and exhaust system for the grease exhaust hoods, designing an underground grease interceptor system within the building, designing medium temperature hot water to low temperature hot water heat exchangers and designing lighting systems compatible for food service.
P2S was responsible for providing engineering, design and construction support services. To meet the objectives of the project, P2S designed the following systems:
- 100% make-up air systems with chilled water-cooling, hot water heating and grease exhaust fans for direct connection to grease hoods
- Air handling systems included constant volume, chilled and heating hot water systems for kitchen and support space comfort cooling
- Chilled water and medium temperature heating hot water was supplied to the building from the existing central plant
To meet the power and lighting demands of the building, distribution transformers and panelboards were housed in individual electrical rooms Energy efficient lighting design with multi-level switches control rated for food service Utilized existing building power systems to serve new kitchen and support space requirements
- Upgraded domestic hot water heat exchanger for kitchen and support spaces and provide 100% redundancy
- Designed grease hood wash system
- Underground grease interceptor within the building
- Plastic piping systems for beverage waste system
P2S provided planning, coordination among disciplines and timely response to submittals and requests for information/issues during construction. This led to a successful completion of the project within schedule and budget.
P2S successfully completed this project on time and budget and allowed the Southern California Theme Park to take advantage of a newly designed renovated kitchen facility with more efficient mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.