P2S was contracted for the design of a new 45,000 square-foot multimedia center at East L.A. College (E3/E5 replacement building). P2S provided mechanical, electrical, plumbing (MEP) and technology engineering services for the new building which houses state-of-the-art multi- media classrooms, conference rooms and faculty offices. The building was designed to seek LEED™ Silver certification.
As the MEP and Technology consultant, P2S was responsible for engineering, design and construction administration of the entire project. To meet the objectives of the project, P2S designed the following systems:
- Variable volume system
- Air handling systems included grade mounted custom VAV air handling units, duct mounted reheat coils and sound attenuation.
- Chilled and heating hot water was supplied to the building from the campus central plant. Controls included building management DDC
4.16kV service to the new building
- Distribution transformers and panel boards were housed in individual electrical rooms on each floor to meet the power and lighting demands of the building.
- Emergency power was provided through a centralized inverter system housed in the electrical room
- Energy efficient lighting was provided with occupancy sensors and multi-level switches control most light fixtures
- To maximize energy efficiency, photo sensors were used along with dimming ballasts to provide automatic light dimming along the windows
- To maximize water savings, low-water fixtures were utilized for the restrooms
P2S designed a building that is 25% more efficient than a standard building and provides annual carbon emissions reduction of 90 tons. The results met or exceeded the project goals and the new building is slated to receive LEED™ Silver Certification.